Zero Waste Vashon (ZWV) is a group of Vashon Island neighbors working in partnership with King County to make our island a model green community by finding practical ways to recycle our waste stream into useful products.
ZWV is partnering with King County for a ZERO WASTE future. We can have revitalized soils, cleaner water, cleaner air, and locally sourced energy.
- Inorganic waste can be better managed and processed. We can reduce waste at the home through education and increased recycling. Since ZWV started recycling has doubled on island.
- Organic waste decomposing in landfills leads to greenhouse gases and must be diverted for the overall health of the planet. It is a goal of ZWV to challenge the perception that green material is waste and instead honor it as a resource. We have a yard and food waste collection at the transfer station diverting many tons a week from the landfill.
- Organic waste should be converted locally. We are working on the development of an island-located composting facility in order to eliminate trucking green waste off island only to be trucked back on island as compost. Our compost will be cleaner due to the lack of industry on island.
- Complementary technology options including anaerobic digestion, biogas creation, passive and active solar, biosolids, and biochar should be considered as components to create a highly efficient organic recycle facility.
- Exploring soil amelioration techniques at the new VM Community Food Bank Farm behind the IGA and proving the value of compost in improving native soils. – Beachcomber article
Please consider a donation so that we can continue to grow and provide solutions to reduce waste on Vashon.